Dr. Fred Born from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin has launched a new blog from the Wisconsin Museum of Veterinary History. The inaugural issue of the Quarterly Newsletter, v.1, n.1, Jan-Feb-Mar 2020 was posted on April 25, 2020. It will feature obituaries of Wisconsin veterinarians, descriptions of vintage veterinary instruments, other news of historical interest, and much more. Dr. Born is an AVMHS charter member and has posted many of his informative PowerPoint presentations on various subjects as well. The Wisconsin Museum of Veterinary History is located on the grounds of the Gall...
AVMHS is very pleased to provide a newly produced and distinctive recognition certificate to each of the practices currently listed in the Society's Registry of Heritage Veterinary Practices. Suitable for display in waiting rooms or offices, these certificates will be mailed to practices in early January 2020 along with a new brochure describing the Registry program. A Web logo has also been designed for posting on practice Web sites to further promote their long-standing 50 or more
AVMHS is delighted to honor the Patterson Dog and Cat Hospital for being in continuous operation for 175 years—making it the oldest known veterinary practice in the United States. In 1844, English veterinarian Dr. James W. Patterson settled in Detroit and opened a large animal practice downtown. When his son Dr. Elijah Patterson took over, the hospital was moved to its present Woodbridge historic district building in 1909. Going strong ever since, Dr. Glynes Graham is the practice’s fifth owner from 1985 and has never considered changing its name.
Dr. Jerry M. Owens of Glen Ellen, California has become the new Coordinator of AVMHS's Registry of Heritage Veterinary Practices. He replaces Lesley Ann Gentry from Beloit, Kansas who served in this role since 2010. We welcome Dr. Owens and thank Mrs. Gentry for her excellent contributions to the Registry program which recognizes veterinary practices in continuous operation for over 50 years.