Patterson Dog and Cat Hospital Celebrates 175 Years
AVMHS is delighted to honor the Patterson Dog and Cat Hospital for being in continuous operation for 175 years—making it the oldest known veterinary practice in the United States. In 1844, English veterinarian Dr. James W. Patterson settled in Detroit and opened a large animal practice downtown. When his son Dr. Elijah Patterson took over, the hospital was moved to its present Woodbridge historic district building in 1909. Going strong ever since, Dr. Glynes Graham is the practice’s fifth owner from 1985 and has never considered changing its name.
Congratulations to Dr. Graham and her staff for many more years of successful practice.
Read more at https://www.pattersondogandcat.com/about-us/history.html and from the VIN News Service at https://news.vin/com/doc/?id=8906541
Find more about AVMHS’s Registry of Heritage Veterinary Practices that recognizes practices 50 or more years old at https://www.avmhs.org/registry-of-heritage-practices
New practices are welcome and accepted at any time.