PAST VETERINARY DENTAL COLLEGES in UNITED STATES and CANADA

In addition to early private veterinary colleges, a few colleges specialized in training practitioners for handling dental problems, primarily in horses. These schools were located in cities with large urban working horse populations. They offered a limited course of study, often less than 1 year, and were typically in operation for only a short period around the turn of the 20th century. It has been reported that 8 may have existed in the United States and Canada--2 in Chicago, 1 in Detroit, 2 in New York, 1 in Philadelphia, 1 in St. Louis, and 1 in Toronto, but little is known about them.   

List of "Former Veterinary Medical Institutions in the United States" from AVMA Membership Directory and Resource Manual (2008)

History and Background of Some Past Veterinary Dental Colleges

DetroitDental (1) extended.JPG

DETROIT VETERINARY DENTAL COLLEGE
Detroit, Michigan
(1904?-1905?)

The Detroit Veterinary Dental College was incorporated  around 1904 in Detroit, Michigan. After the prescribed course of study, a Doctor of Veterinary Dentistry (D.V.D.) degree was awarded. According to Bierer, the school may also have advertised a "correspondence course in veterinary dentistry" during 1905. 

VIEW MORE - coming soon
St. Louis Horse Dental School picture 1905 A.jpg

St. LOUIS VETERINARY DENTAL COLLEGE
St. Louis, Missouri
(1905-1906?)

The St. Louis Veterinary Dental College began operations on October 2, 1905 in a two-story brick building at 23rd and Locust Streets in St. Louis, Missouri. J.W. Watson, VS was dean. A veterinarian, a physician, and a dentist were members of the faculty. The short popular, practical and scientific curriculum consisted of physiology, anatomy, materia medica and therapeutics, pathology, and comparative operative dentistry for 11-weeks. The degree of Doctor of Veterinary Dentistry was awarded. The school existed for only a short time.